Alvarado Heritage Center

Alvarado Heritage & Preservation Foundation

Union Building

In 1854, E.M. Heath petitioned for the formation of Johnson County.  That year, William Balch gave this site for a school, church, and union meeting house.  Residents constructed a one room log building for a school and meeting space for Baptist, Methodist, Disciples of Christ and Cumberland Presbyterian congregations, as well as for county officials and community events.  Here, people discussed many issues, including Johnson County’s creation and Alvarado’s incorporation.  Officials continued meeting here after W.C. Wright, son of Mayor J.H. Wright, and his wife, Mollie, built a home here in 1871.  The property remains the site of a private residence.  (2004)